Saturday, April 2, 2011

Stitching, Photos That Is

One of the great (or not so great) aspects of digital cameras is all of the preset modes.  They've predefined what they think it takes to make good portraits, landscapes, fireworks, snow, foliage, and action shots, which are all well and good, but in my opinion the best preset mode is the stitch assist on my Canon.  With this I can line up shots and then combine them into one image later.  You can actually do this without the preset mode, but if you use the setting, the file names are different for the stitched photos making them really easy to find.

Taking photos to make a panorama is pretty simple, but somehow despite having this camera since 2008, I have never once taken the images and made the panoramas from them.  Last week I realized how easy it was to do in Photoshop, and decided the wait was over.


If you click on the panoramas, it should open the image in its larger size.
This is the first one I did here on campus.  This is the harbor; in the distance you can see the beacon on the right, and the research buildings on the left.  Considering I had no idea what I was doing, I'm not terribly disappointed with how this turned out.  Not everything is lined up quite as well as I'd like, but the effect is there.


This is an incredibly old shot from when Steve and I spent Spring Break 2009 backpacking and camping in Canyonlands and Arches National Parks.  This is from Druid's Arch, which if I recall was quite the hike/climb to get to, but the view was worth it.


This was the view from Balanced Rock in Arches National Park, and one of the first great views we had as soon as we got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment