Thursday, May 5, 2011

Reasons Why Working at Home Beats the Library

This is the first time I’ve had to work on group projects in the library, and I am not enjoying it.  In undergrad, we’d all meet in someone’s apartment or dorm room to work, which in theory could still be possible here, but never happens.

Here are the five main reasons why I hate working in the library:
  1. No temperature control: The library is always freezing with no hope to be able to control it.  So if I’m uncomfortable, while working on a project, I just have to accept it and keep working.  It also means I have to bring a sweatshirt to the library (and class) if I want to have any hope of staying warm.
  2. No snacks: Working in the library means you have to plan better for interruptions.  If I get hungry Ieither have to deal with it, go home, or have planned ahead and brought a snack.  Working from home means I just have to walk over to the kitchen, get a snack, and then go back to work.
  3. Terrible night lighting: With huge floor to second floor ceiling windows the lighting in the library during the day is fantastic, but it gets dark relatively early, and while the lighting in the library is beautiful, but doesn’t offer much actual light.
  4. Too Formal: Working at home means it’s okay to tell jokes or stories, have a laugh, and then go back to work.  It doesn’t have to be very formal and that means everyone is more comfortable.  Get a bit loud in the library, and undoubtedly you’ll be disturbing someone else.
  5. Need Better Planning: If everyone is coming over for a meeting it doesn’t matter what I’m doing beforehand, but as I was baking bread and cupcakes the other day, I realized I hadn’t started early enough and was going to be late.  It ended up being a minor deal, but if we weren’t working in the library, everyone could have settled in and gotten started while I finished up the baking.

These are only a few of the reasons why working in the library doesn’t cut it for me.  Unfortunately, at least until the end of the semester, I don’t have much of an option.  The library is the only place I have access to the software I need for a group project.

No comments:

Post a Comment